Grow Wild 2016
Artisans Collective CIC are proud to be involved again with Grow Wild during 2016.
Supported by the Big Lottery Fund and led by Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew; Grow Wild inspires communities, friends, neighbours and individuals across the UK to come together to transform local spaces, by sowing, growing and enjoying native wild flowers.
We believe that this simple act of creativity can turn spaces into beautiful, inspiring and colourful wildlife havens; encouraging people to care for and delight in the nature around them.
We will be working alongside our community groups including Prestatyn Men’s Shed who will be making planters to spread the colour across our locality.
Why UK native wild flowers?
In the UK we’re lucky to have some amazing wild flowers, but they’re in danger: we have lost 98% of wild flower meadows since the 1930s. This not only means less colour in our lives but it’s impacting on populations of butterflies, bees, pollinating bugs and birds. We believe that the simple act of sowing UK native wild flowers can make a difference – and that it can bring neighbourhoods together, connect people to nature and boost our wellbeing.
In 2015 our children’s art and craft workshop planted just one small area outside the Old Library. This year we plan to have a much bigger impact. You can also follow our progress on the Grow Wild website.
Now reality in May 2016
In the open areas we will sow
- Common or lesser knapweed
- Corn chamomile
- Corn marigold
- Corn or common poppy
- Hedge bedstraw
- Meadow buttercup
- Oxeye daisy
- Red campion
- Ribwort plantain
The mix is slightly different in the shady areas, where we will use native woodland wild flowers.
- Bluebell Seed (Hyancith non Scripta) 2.5%,
- Common Agrimony (Agrimonia Eupotar) 5.0%,
- Hedge Bedstraw (Galium Mollugo) 15.0%,
- Hedge Garlic ( Alliaria Petiolata) 10.0%,
- Hedge Woundwort (Stachys Sylvatica) 2.5%,
- Herb Bennet (Geum Urbanum) 5.0%,
- Nettle Leaved Bell Flower (Campanula Trachnium ) 1.0%,
- Ragged Robin (Lychnis Flos Cuculi) 1.0%,
- Red Campion (Silene Dioica) 17.0%,
- Self Heal ( Prunella Vulgaris) 17.0%,
- Square St Johns Wort (Hypericum tetrapterum) 0.5%,
- Sweet Cicely (Myrrhis Odorta) 3.0%,
- Upright Hedge Parsley (Torilis Japonica) 10.0%.
- Welsh Poppy (Meconopsis Cambria) 0.10%,
- Wild Angelica (Angelica Sylvestri) 2.0%,
- Wild Foxglove (Digitalis Purpurea) 7.5%,
- Wood Sage (Teucrium Scorodonia) 0.80%