Awareness Week Prestatyn Dementia Community Friends Training.
The first of Dementia Awareness week, Dementia Friends training sessions went very well and we’re looking forward to another good turn out tomorrow.
Another 18 people in Prestatyn working towards making our town Dementia Friendly
Many thanks to all those who attended or who are joining us tomorrow !#DementiaFriends.
It is fantastic seeing the support from local businesses, town and county councillors, Betsi Cadwaladr University Health Board – Healthy Prestatyn, and the general public.
Each Information Session lasts around one hour. You will learn more about dementia and how you can help to create dementia friendly communities.
Alzheimer’s Society’s Dementia Friends programme is the biggest ever initiative to change people’s perceptions of dementia. It aims to transform the way the nation thinks, talks and acts about the condition. Dementia touches the lives of millions of people across the UK.
The Friends scheme was launched to tackle the stigma and lack of understanding that means many people with the condition experience loneliness and social exclusion.
Dementia Friends is about learning more about dementia and the small ways you can help.
We are now looking at ways we can further help the scheme in our hometown. The first step will be to set up some dementia champions.
What is a Dementia Friends Champion?
A Dementia Friends Champion is a volunteer who tells people about dementia, how it affects people’s day-to-day lives, and how they can make a positive difference to people living with dementia in their community. It’s easy to get involved if you meet our eligibility criteria.
What are the requirements for becoming a Dementia Friends Champion?
To be a Dementia Friends Champion you need to:
- Genuinely have the time to run Dementia Friends Information Sessions and reach around 100 people
- Be over 18 years old
- Be a good communicator and speak objectively about dementia
- Enjoy talking to groups of people
- Have access to the internet and be willing to record the number of Friends you reach by the website
- Keen to set up Information Sessions in workplaces and your local community
- Enthusiastic about Dementia Friends
- Voluntarily attend a whole day induction.If you are interested in becoming a champion please contact us